October 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad - Made Easy


Today is my Dad's birthday.  My Dad is a pretty amazing guy.  He's 64 today.  He shouldn't have seen his 62nd birthday, but due to his AMAZING stubbornness and will, he made it through an INCREDIBLY risky surgery, and is here today :).  He was a smoker for MANY MANY years...because of that, he developed poor circulation to his feet.  He had numerous surgeries to fix it, and none worked.  He had an open wound on his leg that wouldn't heal...from one of those surgeries.  And although everything was done to prevent it, he got an infection.  And it got bad.  Fast.  He was in ICU, on a ventilator, and my Mom had to make the decision for the doctors to amputate my dad's leg above the knee...  They weren't even sure he'd make it through the surgery, but it was the only chance he had.  And he made it. He has a prosthetic leg, and walks with canes, but it's SO much better than the alternative.  Here's a picture of him from our family vacation this Summer...
I'm so proud of him, and all he has overcome.

Now -- that being said....my Dad is not into any hobbies, and he is THE hardest person to buy for.  He and my Mom buy what they need/want, and he's pretty simple to please.  So, Dad gets his favorite snack, Entemann's glazed donut holes, and for a little fun, some scratch off lotto tickets.  I kind of hate just handing him a stack of scratch offs though, so take a peek at what I made this year:
This is one of the fabby new templates that is going to be available from My Time Made Easy this month!!  It's called "Carry it".  I love the little handle up top, it's part of the closure...so clever.  You might recognize some of those images too -- the sentiment is from Just for You, and the leafy images are from the Thankful set.  I've also used the new Trendy Tags cut file, and some delicious new paper designed by Krisitn Bueter.

It holds a good amount of tickets nicely -- don't you think?
WHOA -- sorry about the 'GLOWING green' in this pic!  yikes~

So, even though it's not fancy, or expensive, I know it's something my Dad will enjoy...and with all he's been through...he deserves it!

Be sure to stop by and visit Lisa, as well as Lauren, Catherine, and Debbie too!!  They've all got something marvelous to share with you today!

One more picture to share of the FABULOUS fall foliage around here -- and then I'm off, I have to go celebrate a birthday! :)

Thanks for stopping by!!





9 comments:

Debbie said...

Absolutely perfect gift for your Dad ... what a great idea inside too!!!

Lelia Pierce said...

Wow! Your Dad is a lucky guy! TFS that story, Tracey! Love the little bag...he'll love it! :O)

XXX

Pam W. said...

Great way to package such a fun gift. I hope that your dad has a wonderful day of celebrating with his loved ones. Wish him a happy birthday for me.

Catherine Couch Doucette said...

Perfect idea for a gift for your Dad, and he sounds like a real fighter! :0)

Lisa Kind said...

How fun to make this for your dad! I just thought "gingerbread house", but I love how you repurposed it for a masculine gift! Love the colors, too! Kind of like the colors in your beautiful landscape picture! Our area looked like that about 2 weeks ago! Gotta love the Northeast in fall! Happy Birthday to your dad!

Tammy Hershberger said...

Aw, I'm so glad your Dad is celebrating another birthday, Tracey! What a fabulous gift idea in awesome colors!

AKiteFlier said...

What a great dad gift and an even better story. ENjoy him while he's with you - it's so fun to make these little "extra" packages to brighten up a fun gift. great idea Tracey and the colors - WOWWWWWWWWW Beyone gorgeous - thanks for sharing.

Monique said...

I just Love Happy Endings "Two" thumbs up for your dad!! Love your little gift box. Perfect for a Birthday gift. And I love the all the fall colors in your picture..Just Beautiful... Great Post Tracey and Thank you so much for the warm welcome :)!!

Anonymous said...

What a great gift idea Tracey!! I love stories like this, thanks so much for sharing! Have a wonderful day with your Daddy (and many, many, many more!)