November 10, 2009

Happy 234th Birthday!!

Yes, that's right.  I have not lost my mind...alright, well that's debatable, but there is a 234th birthday to be celebrated today.  The United State Marine Corps is 234 today!

Very timely, as I have a special post to share today.  This Sunday, a friend of mine heads to Parris Island, reporting for boot camp.  WOW.  Seems like just yesterday when she told me that she was enlisting.  I'm SO proud of her, as I know this wasn't an easy decision to make, and I know she'll be great.  She's already displayed determination and drive, now she has to just keep going.

I had to say goodbye last night - and amazingly enough, I did so without tears...sort of ;).  I just can't begin to explain how great I think she is for doing what she's doing.  A great example to my daughters and my nieces especially, that we girls can kick some *insert 3 letter explicative here*

I promise this post isn't all blah blah blah...

Kirsten is in our fife and drum corps, and we had a big send off for her at practice last night...I, of course, volunteered to make her a card for the occasion... check her out:



Cute, right??  I know Kirsten WON'T be wearing pink camo, but hey, I'm exercising my artistic freedom ;).  Here's a close up:




I merged two images from the Greeting Farm to come up with my girl soldier.  I took my Wild West Anya's braids, and "attached them" to the Hero Ian image...I think it came out pretty good, if I do say do myself!  The pink camouflage was drawn/colored by hand.  You can see a faint background on the base using phrases from the Hero Ian set (which is unfortunately no longer available :( ).

So Kirsten - here's to you...head off to boot camp, and kick some *insert 3 letter explicative here* - lol  ;).  I'll be missing you - and will look forward to seeing you after graduation in February!!!  Love ya girl, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

And don't forget my friends -- Veteran's day is tomorrow -- so...


THANK YOU to our Veterans.  Thanks for your service for our country, it wouldn't be what it is today without you...

I can ever say it enough -- thank you to ALL of our military forces for the jobs you do...and I'll leave you with one last project that I made for one of the Marines' newest recruits:




OORAH!





1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm so lame. I just now figured out that "notes" is for comments. This card is adorable and the scrapbook page made me misty. So sweet. She's lucky to have your support. (((HUGS)))